Sunday, June 5, 2011

A Sick Little Puppy

When I got home from work on Thursday, I walked in and smelled something awful. Poor little Perry had got sick in his crate while I was at work. He looked so sad when I went to get him out of his crate. It broke this little momma's heart :(

I gave him a bath and some water and hoped it would pass quickly. Well, after more vomiting Thursday night and Friday morning when we woke up, I decided I needed to take him to the vet.
We got there right at 7:30am when they opened, and finally saw the vet at 8:00. I had to leave him there for blood work and x-rays. I pretty much cried the entire way to work because I was so scared something was the matter with him and I hated that I had to leave him. 
(at the vet's office) 

Luckily, I got Perry to the vet at the right time, they did x-rays and found something stuck in his stomach. They did surgery immediately and got whatever it was out of there. It seemed like it was a mixture of a rope toy he had and something else that was hard-mulch maybe? Whatever the combination was, it was not good for my little puppy's tummy :(
(visiting Perry post surgery)
Perry had to spend the night at the doggy hospital on Friday, but I was able to visit him after work. He was still pretty loopy from all of his drugs, ha! Friday night was the longest night. I couldn't sleep and I kept having dreams (or nightmares!) that something was going to happen to him. I had a dream that when I went to pick him up they shaved him and dyed his hair!! Haha, very strange... 

We picked him up bright and early Saturday morning! He was in a great mood and was wagging his tail when he saw us!  He is on a bland diet for the next 5 days and 3 different medications for the next week!! Shew, lots to keep track of. 
(in the car after we picked him up!)

After we picked him up, we drove around looking for a place to live next year, and Perry just hung out in the car laying on his bed (we kept the ac running for him and gave him lots of water). He spent all of Saturday right next to my side.

Needless to say, I have thrown away all of his toys with any kind of rope or fuzz that he could rip apart. I have been one overprotective momma. I was so worried about him and I never want him to go through anything like that again! 

Three more days of work until I can spend the whole summer at home with my little pup. For the next few days, he will be coming to school with me and helping me work. 

Have you all ever had a scare with your dog or cat? I was a nervous wreck!!


  1. First, KUDOS to you for taking initiative of not just assuming he was gonna vomit once, and second yay for you throwing away the dangerous toys!!!!

    Aspen has toys that are FUZZ free (petco and petsmart sell them you just have to READ THE DANG TAGS) I had a scare to.. My pooch loved this squishy jingly toy with bells and one day she ripped the bell off and it was no where to be found. I was FREAKING OUT that she had swallowed it!!!

    Post an update on how Perry has recovered I am so sorry you had to go through that but thankfully you are a great caring fur mama to him! :)

  2. Poor little guy! I'm so glad he is okay. I will be much more careful about the kinds of toys I bring him now!!

  3. Poor baby! One day I had only had Stella for a week or so, she was itty bitty...and she only was coughing and it scared me! So glad Mr.P is ok! :)

  4. How sad! Im glad he is better, what a cute little guy!