Sunday, April 1, 2012

Half Marathon Recap

Yesterday was Run the Bluegrass!!!

I was excited, nervous, scared, intimidated, anything you could think, before Saturday's race. But I was so ready for it!!! 

I have been training for 17 weeks for this race!!! Now, I didn't always make all 3 runs each week, but I did most of my weekend runs - long and short! There were a few weekends I miss the short weekend runs due to March Madness games, or feeling the aftermath from watching the game the night before :) 

Ben and I are the start line

Ben and I ran the first 8 miles together! We averaged a 10-10:30/pace for the first 6 miles until the BIG hills started. I was so proud of this pace considering the hills we had. Once we hit mile 6, the big hills on Old Frankfort Pike started. We walked the ups and ran the downs, for those hills. They were hard. But I think the fact that we were ok walking them helped us conquer them! 

I felt great until about mile 11.... Then my knee started to tighten up. I took the rest of my Sport Beans to try and give me some endurance for the rest of the race. But, it was still hard for me to keep running. 

I ran the whole race with my friend's husband, who is like a 4-time marathoner, and was just using this run as a "training" run. Yeah... he signed up the night before. Crazy. He helped me SO much!!!!! He was so encouraging and helped remind me that my mini 1 minute walk breaks would help me in the end! 

 My trainer, John and I!!!

I finished the race strong, happy and excited! My overall time was 2:40:17, which I was completely fine with! My goal was just to finish! I really didn't care about my time. Especially after all of the reviews on the Run the Bluegrass website said not to expect a PR on this hilly course! And, I figure it's a great time to have so I can shoot for a PR next time around :)

That's right... I want to do another half marathon. It's official. I'm addicted to it. I NEVER thought I would love running this much. Or even, love running 13 point 1 freaking miles. I didn't think I would be able to ever run that far. But the truth is.... If you have a training plan, and you can stick to it, you will be able to run a half marathon! 

Does my body feel like complete crap today? Yes.... In fact, I'm walking like an old 90-year old lady. My legs are so tight. But, I'm still on my runner's high from the race yesterday! I can't wait to start training again. 

And hopefully, next time I run a half, I can recruit some friends!!! Like my sissy, or Jill :) My sister, Karie and her boyfriend drove 3 hours to come see us run!!! I was so happy to see her at mile 12 something. And she had my precious little Perry with her too :) 


Karie (And Andrew)-- Thank you so much for coming all the way down to Lexington to cheer us on!!! It meant so much to have you there! And I loved your sign you made! And the Cheryl's cookies and 13.1 tervis. You're the bestest!!!! LOVE YOU!

Also, two of my co-workers came to cheer me on too!!! So, so sweet! Amy's husband is the one who ran with me! They are trying to talk me into doing a full marathon in October. HA..... Maybe in a few years ;)

 Amy, me and Mindy

Oh, and the best part... After the race, Ben and I had to come home, stretch, shower, and get in the car for 4 hours to drive to Paducah for a friends wedding. Our bodies were hating us! I tried to wear heels, and it just wasn't going to happen. I switched to flats within 30 minutes, haha! 


And of course, we were sporting our Kentucky Blue last night. SO SO PROUD of those boys in blue! Cannot wait for the game tomorrow!!!!!

Oh....... C-A-T-S CATS CATS CATS!!!  I hope you all will help cheer on the Cats tomorrow!



 


4 comments:

  1. You did a great job! I am glad we got to come down to cheer you on. You are an inspiration...maybe next time we can run together! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats! I wish I could be a runner. I'm such a wuss for never trying or pushing myself! Love your Blue dress! Everyone I knew that had weddings Sat wore blue! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE the Blue dress and LOVE that you finished the race! That is so awesome. I am too scared, haha. I need to get back into running and add more cardio to my routine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Umm you're awesome! Seriously though :)

    ReplyDelete